Thursday, March 22, 2012

I think, I know.

I think I was always meant to be in fashion.

It’s not because it is viewed to be easy, because if you had an understanding of it, you know its not. It’s not about the “pretty clothes”, &looking “the best”, because it’s not. It’s not about this fairy-tale la la land, because it is not. Fashion is this cut-throat, competitive world, meant for people 4 steps ahead of the game, who are not only intelligent but street smart. Fashion is a world for those who aren’t afraid to take risks, be laughed at and fall down- over and over again (and if you are a klutz like I am, that’s an easy one to accomplish). Fashion is for the creative, determined and fearless individual who seeks to please no one- once that is overcome the real beauty of success begins. Fashion is for the versatile, the ones who don't want to dip their toes into the action, but dive right into all facets of the industry.

I think I was always meant to be in fashion.

At the age of five (maybe even younger), I used to play dress up and walk around in my mothers costume jewellery and heels. At that age, I was a definite tom boy who played in dirt, ate bugs and rolled around in my Fred Flinstone car with the boys. It was clear that I had learnt the art of being a chameleone.

I think I was always meant to be in fashion.

At the age of seven, I was spending an afternoon alone with my brother and sister and thought it would be “Edgy, cool and different” to dress my brother up as a girl and put some make-up on him (though my words would have been different for an eight year old).

I think I was always meant to be in fashion.

I did not care what other people used to think- don’t want to play with me? Fine, there’s some pretty siiick blocks over there and someone better to play with anyways. Don’t want to be in a group with me? That’s fine, my project will be better than yours anyways- I always succeed. Don’t want to date me anymore? That’s fine, I was over it long before you said anything- and you suck anyways.

I think I was always meant to be in fashion.

Even though I could not draw, sew, cut, measure or even touch a sewing machine, I always wanted to design clothes for all types of bodies, personalities and make something unique. I always wanted to tell a story, have people be confident and love who they were (even if this was something I had struggled with for years, and on occaision, still do).

Only now thinking about this, I realized that the only mistake I’ve made in this declaration was saying “I think” Because the reality of it is, I don’t think….I know.

&hearts. Oli.va

No comments:

Post a Comment